Lambing Flat Folk Museum

We respect and acknowledge the Burrowmunditroy people of the Wiradjuri nation as the First Peoples and Traditional Custodians of the lands and waters where the Museum is located.

Young was called Lambing Flat during the goldrush. The town first developed between Chance Gully and Burrangong Creek, and was a part of the Burrangong goldfield. Burrangong is derived from ‘Burra-n-dhang’, meaning ‘night’ in the Wiradjuri language.


We are closed due until further notice due to the COVID-19 situation in NSW.

Other times by appointment. Group bookings welcome.

Closed: Good Friday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day.

Entry fees:

Adults: $5.00

Children: $2.00

Children under 5: Free (must be accompanied by an adult).


The Lambing Flat Folk Museum is managed by the Young Historical Society Inc. and is staffed by volunteers.

The Museum is one of the main tourist attractions for the Hilltops region and houses a valuable collection, including objects relating to the early days of Lambing Flat and Burrangong. Young has always been a multicultural community, whether people came seeking their fortune from gold mining, were convicts or free settlers, or established our rich diversity of agricultural pursuits. They have left us with a wonderful history. The Museum houses a collections depicting these early days and the development of the region since then.

The Museum is divided into several themed rooms:

Raising the Colour – devoted to the Gold Rush and events which occurred in 1860-61 at Lambing Flat. The historical Roll Up banner and a replica of Coborn Jackey’s breastplate, given to him by James White in 1830, are housed in this room.

Everyday Items of the Past – both household and farm items, from an Autogen Gas Light Machine to a butter churn. This room includes a carriage made by John Rogan in 1880.

War – Honour Boards and items relating to servicemen and women from the Young and district during the Boer War, World War I and World War II.

Specialty areas include the display of dental equipment, hairdressing and boxing. Other significant items on display include a bible which once belonged to bushranger Frank Gardiner, Aboriginal tools and art, and a collection of art from world-reknowned glass artist Helmut Hiebl who lived at Murringo. There is a large display of textiles to view including Elizabeth Witham’s 1826 sampler, Christening and Wedding gowns, and a beaded Flapper Dress from the 1920s.

The Lambing Flat Folk Museum underwent the MGNSW Standards Program in 2005.