Photo Galleries

Elizabeth worked this sampler in 1826 when she was 10 years old and living in London. Elizabeth married Henry Hobson and they migrated to Australia in 1842 aboard the Palestine. They eventually settled at Young. Henry and Elizabeth had eight children Thomas Henry, Matilda Ann, Henry Frederick, Joseph John, William, Charles, Elizabeth and George. Many of their descendants are still living in the district.

An Essential Media Entertainment film crew were at Young recently filming part of a documentary titled The Great Australian Race Riot with well known author and journalist Peter Fitzsimons.

On the weekend of 12 April 2014, the town of Young held the first of what is to become an annual event, the Lambing Flat Chinese Festival. The Lambing Flat Museum participated in the celebration of the tribute to the Chinese involvement in the development of the town of Young. The Museum allowed free entry to everyone on the day.

Gallipoli To Damascus, an audio-visual presentation was held at the historic old Masonic Hall, Zouch Street, Young in support of the Lambing Flat Folk Museum, on Thursday 10th October 2013. This was a night of historic photos as seen through the eyes of Eric Dowling, a compilation of personal photos and postcards from 1914 to 1918 including scenes from Gallipoli, Palestine, Suez and Damascus.

Approximately 340 photos donated by his daughter Wendy Forrest have been made into an audio-visual display. The original camera that was used was on display on the night. This DVD will be on permanent display at the Lambing Flat Museum and can be viewed on request.

Also displayed by means of an audio-visual presentation was a collection of scenes of Young from the early 1900s to 1940 .This was a collection of prints taken from Glass Plate negatives originally photographed by W. F. Gilbert and donated to the museum by Tim and Lyle Gilbert.

Copies of these and other DVDs can be purchased from the museum.

The Lambing Flat Museum recently came into possession of a helmet used in the Sudan War era with the names Rennie and Mathews inscribed inside the lining. William Mathews embarked for the Sudan on 3 March, 1885. Michael Tyne, who delivered the helmet, and Ken Rennie, grandson of Sam Rennie who was a Colour Sergeant in the Young Volunteer Reserve during the late 1880s.

After the gold rush at Lambing Flat in the early 1860s petered out, most of the miners moved on, but some remained and minor rushes occurred. These photographs depict scenes at Spring Creek and Moppity in the late 1860s or early 1870s.

Water Races believed to have been built by the Chinese Gold Miners during the early 1860s Gold Rush near Little Wombat, part of the Lambing Flat Goldfields area.

During the Lambing Flat gold rush of the early 1860s a village sprang up at Stoney Creek, half way between Wombat and Lambing Flat (Young). The 1861 census reported that there were 4 hotels and 16 businesses at Stoney Creek, as well as a police station and a cemetery. Today nothing remains of the village and most people are not aware that it ever existed. During its peak all types were attracted: miners (including Chinese), businessmen and bushrangers. Late on the afternoon of 15 February, 1863, two bushrangers rode up to and entered the store of Vincent Cirkell. When Cirkell intervened he was shot through the head and died. No one was ever apprehended for the crime.

Blackguard Gully was the site of the 27 January and 17-19 February 1861 riots against the Chinese miners in 1861. Situated off the Murringo Road on the outskirts of Young, the Blackguard Gully Reserve still displays evidence of the mining activity that took place here which continued through the 1860s.

Frank Gardiner, notorious bushranger and organizer of the famous Gold Escort Robbery at Eugowra, was at one time a resident of Lambing Flat (Young) and partner in a butcher shop with William Fogg. Fogg was the butcher and Gardiner the stock buyer, obtaining most of his stock by duffing them from the local squatters. After the escort robbery he and his lover Kitty Brown (nee Catherine Walsh) decided to escape to Queensland. They conducted a store at Apis Creek for some time but he was eventually recognised and imprisoned. The binding and inscription on this book was executed by Gardiner whilst he was in Darlinghurst Gaol. Catherine was later employed by David Hawkins of “Wollongough” as a housekeeper. When she left, this book was found in her apartment, and had been in the possession of the late Mr. Hawkins’ family until donated to the museum at Young.

In the early days of the gold rush at Lambing Flat, along the track which was to become Main Street, there were numerous shanties, hotels, bowling alleys and shooting galleries for the entertainment of the diggers. Some of the hotels had theatres and dance halls attached where performances and dancing took place each evening. One such theatre was the “Diggers Theatre”, run by Barnett Phillips, and in the doorway stood Barney welcoming customers through the door. In later years Barney was attached to the verandah of Little’s Arcade, opposite the Town Hall, attracting customers to the store. Today Barney is still at work welcoming visitors to our museum.